18 October 2009

Mrs. Bee Makes a Mean Grilled Ham and Cheese Sandwich


Where I'm from, rice is a meal staple.  But sometimes when I'm too absorbed with what I'm doing (napping for instance or blogging) or "E." isn't into experimenting in the kitchen, bread will have to do.  

I look in the kitchen cupboard and fridge to see what I can, easily, whip together.  Aaah, a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.  Off we go!



Ingredients:
Olive oil (not the extra virgin because we're going to grill this over fire and extra virgin burns easily), Japanese mayonnaise, wheat bread, Purefoods sweet ham and emmental cheese

Mrs. Bee's Sidebar: Dijon mustard (optional).  I like Dijon mustard better with  stronger tasting meat like pepper salami or pastrami.  


Lightly brush one side of the wheat bread with olive oil.  Flip over.
Spread Japanese mayonnaise on the dry sides, and pile the ham and the cheese and make the two slices of wheat bread meet.


Preheat the non-stick pan over medium heat.  Then grill the side that has the olive oil.

   

Flatten the sandwich with something heavy.  In this case, I use the bottom of the rice cooker and a little bit of my weight.

      
Flip over to do the other side.  And repeat, flattening it with the bottom of the rice cooker.


Et voila, a sandwich grilled to perfection!  Seriously,  who needs a panini maker?  

Transfer from pan to a pretty plate.  Slice it, diagonally.  Serve while piping hot and cheese oozing out of the bread!  Served best with chilled San Miguel light beer and interesting conversation.

Bon appetite!

2 comments:

  1. seriously, this panini blog is seriously lovely, pictures included. Ahluvet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, Tomtom. But, seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing a panini presser all covered in red and green under my Christmas tree! Ho ho ho!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog