11 October 2009

My creative process...

A project is slowly brewing in my head and I must forgive myself for what seems like "lazy daisy-ing"  around and about because this is the most crucial part of my creative process, the "thinking"...

What does one do during the "thinking" process?  I stock up on reading materials---novels, short stories, coffee table books on art, photography and decorating, fashion and home magazines, children's books, cooking books and even the lowly newspaper cannot escape my grasp.  I have them lying around the house, in every corner where I can just plop myself and leaf through their pages.  

There is also the staring into space, blank walls, at a plant, at anything---hours on end.  That's why I find it necessary to surround myself with beautiful things (not exactly expensive) but eye catching and thought provoking.   Staring into the wide space of nothingness is an exercise that empties the brain of previous stimuli and allows me to sift the shaft from the grain.   

At night, "E." and I, we watch one dvd before going to sleep everyday on our laptop .  We attach our hamburger-shaped speaker to drown the noise that is outside our busy street and situate the macbook on a Japanese tray with legs between us.   A trashy movie is always an option.  Classics and beautifully made films are a consuelo---they console the soul.  Documentaries on great minds motivate.  

Ideas are formed.   Visions and revisions are played in my head.   I do not take them to pen and paper.  This is just not my style.  I know it is ready for execution when the idea has rolled itself into a visually exciting bundle and made conscious in my field of dreams.  It may take days, weeks and sometimes months, but once I taste the idea fermented  at the tip of my tongue, I waste no time.  I must attack it before it rots and falls. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog